Steve began coaching in 1969 and served for 20 years as an assistant basketball coach at Indianapolis Manual HS, Beech Grove HS, Franklin Community HS, and Ben Davis High School.
In 1989, he became Ben Davis’ Varsity Coach and served in that position until 2003. During that time:
- His team went 266-68 (80%)
- Only coach in 87-year history of non-class basketball to take teams to four consecutive Final Fours
- State champions in 1995 and 1996, state runner-up in 1993
- His teams won three straight Marion County tournaments
- 64 straight games versus Marion County teams
- 7 straight sectionals, 5 straight regionals, 4 straight semi-states and averaged 20 wins per season
- Teams were ranked #1 in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, and 2002
- 2-time state Coach of the Year, 3-time IBCA district Coach of the Year and 6-time Marion County Coach of the Year
In 2003 he became the Executive Director of the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association, a position he continues to serve in today.
Steve has been instrumental in building the IBCA Top 100 Showcase for both boys and girls in the state of Indiana as well as the Kentucky-Indiana All Star Series and the IBCA Clinic.
Steve’s participation and leadership in the NHSBCA since the very beginning years of idea sharing have helped shape this organization.